Monday, August 30, 2010

Ladies, your husbands will Love this one!

This is my recipe for mexican lasagna. My husband, brother and dad all love this recipe. This is healthy, I promise.

2 lbs. ground turkey 98% fat free lean (I like Jennie O)
1/4 cup chopped onions (find frozen chopped onions in the frozen veggie aisle)

Taco seasoning (I make my own because I can't handle the msg in normal taco packets)
2 tblsp brown sugar
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
pinch of salt

1 can enchilada sauce
1 can diced tomatoes, not drained
1 small can chopped green chiles, not drained
4 large high fiber tortilla wraps or wheat tortillas
1/2 cup 2% milk cheese taco or sharp cheddar
handful of fresh cilantro
1 small can diced black olives (optional)

1. Brown turkey along with onions. You should not have grease left over because there is hardly any fat in the turkey. Add taco seasoning to meat.
2. In a bowl combine sauce, tomatoes, chiles, cilantro, and olives.
3. In a large lasagna pan layer the ingredients like you would a lasagna. Meat on bottom then two tortillas then add 1/2 of sauce on tortillas. Layer again meat, tortillas, sauce finish with 1/2 cup cheese on top.
Notice how much cheese is on top? Only 1/2 cup for the whole lasagna.


Bake at 375 for 45 mins till bubbling.

For the side:

I mix one small container of 0% fat greek yogurt and chopped chives, or green onions, or cilantro together for topping instead of sour cream. Greek yogurt has a TON of protein and is low in calories, it tastes just like sour cream.
and/or
I chop an avocado and squeeze a little lime juice on top.
and/or
I cook some fat free refried beans with a small sprinkle of cheese on top or a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment