Sunday, October 31, 2010

A blast from my past...

Happy Halloween! I have decided to start a new Halloween tradition in my home, making "pancake soup" for Halloween day. Here is my story and recipe for "pancake soup".

When I was little my German grandmother whom I will call The Queen of Soups made this for me when I visited her out in Colorado. Looking back, I always requested this soup for lunch, or dinner, and always, my Grandmother would make it for me, no matter what. Now I see how labor intensive this soup is, especially when you are as meticulous as my Grandmother was about cooking, everything was chopped very very fine, and her pancake noodles were very thin, and cooked to perfection. Here is my version of her soup, very good, but clearly not as good as the real thing, enjoy!

Lots of Labor, not a lot of ingredients:

Recipe for crepes:
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs beaten
dash salt
2 tsp cooking oil

Chicken broth:
6-8 cups water
leftover rotisserie chicken bones
1 bullion cube
fresh chives
thyme

First, fill pot with water, add chicken bones. Simmer for at least one hour.

After one hour, remove bones, strain well and try to remove any chicken meat left on bones. This soup has some chicken meat in it, not a lot. Really this is to be made after you have eaten most of the rotisserie chicken. Add remaining chicken meat to broth, add bullion cube, stir until dissolved, add thyme. At this point you can continue making the crepe noodles or you can refrigerate broth over night.

For crepe "noodles": Combine ingredients, stir with wire whisk to make a smooth batter. Heat small skillet and spray with cooking spray. Pour appx 1/8 cup batter into hot skillet, swirl batter around and allow to cook for appx 1-2 mins on each side until browned, remove crepe, allow to cool.
Crepes are better brown than  doughy.

Continue spraying, adding batter, swirling and flipping  crepes until batter used up. Stack appx 4 crepes and roll up. Slice them thinly with a sharp knife creating noodles.



Add a handful of noodles to a bowl, pour in broth, top with chives. We are talking super comfort food here. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment